In November 2021, President Joe Biden signed the $1.2 trillion Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act into law. This bipartisan bill provides historic investments into the repair and modernization of America’s critical infrastructure, aiming to create thousands of jobs and improve American’s quality of life. Funding will go towards the expansion of climate justice and resiliency efforts, rebuilding roads, bridges, and rail systems, improving public transit, delivering clean drinking water, and other infrastructure initatives.
Washington State will receive $8.6 billion towards these initiatives with billions more allocated to grants. Notable areas of investment for Washington State include:
- EPA funding to promote Puget Sound and salmon recovery, including several grant programs.
- Funding to reduce wildfire risks and rehabilitate areas affected by fires.
- Investments in water and energy infrastructure including improvements to the electrical grid, expanding broadband access, and funding water recycling and reuse programs.
- $1.79 billion investment in public transit.
- $4.7 billion in formula highway funding and $605 million for bridge replacement and repairs.
- Grant programs for the repair, improvement, and maintenance of passenger and freight rail.
- $71 million to expand the EV charging network across Washington.
- $384.7 million in airport infrastructure grants to Washington airports.
Herrera looks forward to assisting with these infrastructure initiatives in the coming years, helping create a resilient and sustainable future.